Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Grandma Woodbury’s Molasses Candy

2 c sugar
2 c cream
4 T. butter
12 oz (1 1/2 c) sorghum or molasses

Cook, stirring constantly, until brittle, then add almonds and 2 rounded tsp. soda. Stir briskly only until the soda is mixed in and pour into buttered pan.

Megan's Notes: This is the candy I remember Grandma almost always had around. Not just at Christmas-time, too. I preferred it to be a little on the softer side -- you might be in danger or removing a filling, otherwise. =)

I have hand-written notes on my recipe card that say 1 cup molasses, cook until brittle or soft, and use 1 rounded tsp of soda. I'm not sure who made the adjustments, but I thought I'd be thorough and offer all options. =)

Uncle Clair says that sorghum makes a better candy. He said the molasses works but makes it more crispy than the sorghum.

No comments: