Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Divinity

  • 3 c sugar
  • ¾ c white corn syrup
  • ¾ c water
  • 3 egg whites, beaten stiffly
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • nuts, optional
Mix sugar, corn syrup, and water in heavy saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved; then cook without stirring to 260 degrees {—a little dropped into cold water forms a hard ball}.

Remove from heat and pour in a fine stream, beating constantly, into the beaten egg whites.

Add vanilla and continue beating until mixture holds its shape and becomes slightly dull.

Fold in nuts. Drop quickly from tip of buttered spoon onto waxed paper in individual peaks or spread in a buttered pan and cut into 1” squares when firm. Makes 48 pieces.


Megan's Notes: I have not yet tried making this, probably because I've heard all my life how temperamental it is. It needs to be made on a sunny day, and it has to be beaten a long time, which is probably why the pioneers called it Patience. Grandma would start it in her stand mixer but would always finish beating it by hand.

This is probably my all time favorite thing Grandma Woodbury made; I would ask for it for my birthday, and sometimes, if they were traveling our way that time of year, I would be lucky enough to get it. =D I would savor every piece!!

No comments: